Staverton, a parish, with three hamlets, in Devonshire, on the river Dart, with a station on the G.W.R, 221 miles from London, and 3 NNW of Totnes. It has a post office under Totnes; money order and telegraph office, Totnes. Acreage, 5204; population of the civil parish, 676; of the ecclesiastical, 398. Cider is largely made. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £290 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is good, and has been thoroughly restored. The rood screen is a marvellous and unique specimen of the Devonshire screens, with richly carved gallery. The vicarage of Landscove is a separate benefice. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Landscove.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Staverton St. George|
|Poor Law union||Totnes|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1614.
Church of England
St. Paul de Leon (parish church)
The church of St. Paul is a large and ancient edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells, of which the 1st, 3rd and 4th were cast in 1761 by Thomas Bilbie; the 2nd and 6th were recast in 1856; the 5th dates from 1798: the tower is in the Early English style, the western part of the nave Decorated and the east end of the nave and part of the chancel Perpendicular: the east window is stained and there are two other stained windows, including one in the south wall, given by the Rev. H. F. Atherley, a former vicar, in memory of his wife: in 1854-73 the chancel was partly restored in the Decorated style by the Rev. H. F. Atherley, at a cost of £1,000; and in 1875-91 the church was entirely renovated at a cost of £2,750: a richly carved reredos, copied from that in the cathedral of Freiburg, Baden, has been added, and a handsome brass placed on the north wall in memory of a former vicar: the nave has also been entirely refitted with open seats and a new organ introduced: in the church is a monument to the Worth family, dated 1620, and the fine screen of carved oak of 17 bays, 50 feet long and 15 feet in height, was restored in 1890-91, at a cost of nearly £1,000: the restoration included the reconstruction of the ancient rood gallery: the screen was dedicated 9 June, 1892.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Staverton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Staverton (St. George))
Online maps of Staverton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.