St Giles on the Heath, Devon
Giles, St, -in-the-Heath, a parish in Devonshire, on the river Tamar, near the Bude Canal and the boundary with Cornwall, 1½ mile from Tower Hill station on the L. & S.W.B., and 12 NW of Tavistock. Post town and money order office, Launceston; telegraph office, Tower Hill railway station. Acreage, 3147; population, 262. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; gross value, £140 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church is ancient, consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with a tower, contains many monumental memorials, and was almost entirely rebuilt in 1877. There is a Bible Christian chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Holsworthy|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Giles on the Heath from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Giles, St., on-the-Heath)
Online maps of St Giles on the Heath are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cHawkadon
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.