BLACKMOOR is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1867 out of Selborne. The living is a vicarage; value, £200. Patron, the Earl of Selborne. The church is a handsome stone building in the Gothic style, and was erected in 1868. It and the vicarage and school were built and the living endowed by the first Earl of Selborne. Blackmoor House, the seat of the Earl of Selborne, is a handsome modern mansion situated on an eminence.
The register dates from the year 1869, and is currently preserved at the Hampshire Archives.
Church of England
St. Matthew (parish church)
The church of St. Matthew, erected in 1868, at a cost of about £10,000, by the late Earl of Selborne, is an edifice in the Gothic style, from designs by Alfred Waterhouse esq. B.A. architect, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower, containing a clock and 6 bells: there are 250 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Blackmoor are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.