Leigh, South, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands 3½ miles from the coast, 3 WSW of Colyton station on the L. & S.W.R., and 6 SSE of Honiton. It has a post office under Colyton; money order and telegraph office, Colyton. Acreage of the civil parish, 3396; population, 257; of the ecclesiastical, 221. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £180 with residence. The church is ancient, and consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with a tower. It was thoroughly restored in 1881-82 at the expense of the Gordon family. About a mile from the village are the remains of a Roman encampment called "Blackbury Castle." Wiscombe Park is a chief residence.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Online maps of Southleigh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.