Chilton, a village and a parish in Berks, adjacent to Icknield Street and Blewberry Plain, 3¼ miles N of East Ilsley, and 2 E from Upton station on the G.W.R., with a post and telegraph office under Steventon (R.S.O.); money order office, East Ilsley. Acreage, 1448; population, 268. The manor belonged to the Lattons, and the manor-house, now modernized, bears the name of Latton's Place. Many Roman antiquities have been found in the neighbourhood, on Hagbourn Hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net yearly value, £259 with residence. The church is a small building of stone in the Early English and later styles. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chilton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Wantage|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1584.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is a small building of stone, of the Early English and later periods, consisting of chancel, nave of two bays, south aisle, south porch and a western tower with open embattled parapet and small gabled pinnacles and containing 6 bells and a sanctus bell: in 1892 the tenor bell was recast and two new bells added: a clock which strikes the hours was also placed in the tower at the same time; the chancel was restored in 1875 under the direction of the late G. E. Street esq. R.A.: the south aisle appears to be Early English, and is divided from the nave by an arcade of two Pointed arches supported by a single circular column, with a boldly mounted cap and base; the windows of the church are chiefty of the Decorated and Perpendicular periods; the south porch and tower are modern: in the south aisle stands a font, a deep ten-sided basin hewn out of a solid block of stone; it expands slightly towards the top and is placed on a circular base: in the north wall of the nave is a trefoiled niche: in the chancel, on the north side, is a mural monument of marble, in the Classic style, to Richard Knapp esq. reader of the Inner Temple, d. June 6, 1710, and Jane, his wife, d. 5th September, 1737, and two children; above is a shield of arms, or. a lion, pass. sable. and in chief, 3 helmets; on the south side is a tablet inscribed to George Knapp. d. 12 November, 1809: on the west side of the chancel arch is a marble monoment in the Classic style, erected during his lifetime, by Adam Head, to himself (d. 8th April, 1729); Martha, his wife. d. 21 December, 1735, and 3 children, 1703-23, with inscription in Latin, and below an inscription to Head Plott, of Upton, gent. grandson of Adam Head, d. November 7th, 1765; on the arcade is a marble tablet to Elizabeth, wife of Head Plott, buried May 24, 1773; Annie, wife of Thomas Yorke, buried December 17, 1756, and Annie, wife of Richard Hopkins, d. March 21, 1807: the stained east window is a memorial to the Rev. Edward Morland Chaplin M.A. a former rector, who died June 1, 1877, and there is a small memorial window to Mary G. R. Chaplin, d. 9th July, 1871: in the churchyard, east of the aisle, are three altar tombs to the Knapp family of Blewbury and Chilton, 1754-1817: near the porch is a coped tomb to the Rev. Charles Gaisford M.A. rector, d. 1st August, 1857, and by the entrance to the rectory grounds is a marble cross marking the grave of the Rev. E. M. Chaplin M.A. 19 years rector, inscribed to himself and others of his family; and a cross to Miss Susan Morland: there is an altar tomb and mural tablet to the Goddard family, 1742-1800; coped tombs of the family of Lay, 1815-75, and other memorials to the families of Stevens, 1854-72; Guy, 1885, and Lewinton, 1803-9: on the east side of the churchyard is a lich-gate, surmounted by a cross; the church affords 100 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Chilton was in Wantage Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chilton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Chilton (All Saints))
- Kelly's Directory of Berkshire, 1915
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Chilton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.