South Tawton, Devon
Tawton, South, a parish, with two villages and six hamlets, in Devonshire, on the NE border of Dartmoor, 4 miles from North Tawton station on the L. & S.W.R. Acreage, 10,988; population. 1264. The manor, with Oxenham House, belongs to the Hoare family. Limestone is largely worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter, with South Zeal annexed; gross value, £300 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is an old building of granite, and has been restored. An ancient market cross stands in the village of South Zeal, where are also a chapel of ease and Wesleyan and Bible-Christian chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||South Tawton St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Oakhampton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for South Tawton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tawton, South (St. Andrew))
Online maps of South Tawton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cAsh (South Tawton)
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.