South Huish, Devon
Huish, South, a parish in Devonshire, on the coast, 3 miles SW of Kingsbridge station on the G.W.R. It includes the hamlets of Galmpton, Silverhill, and Hope Cove, and its post town is Kingsbridge. Acreage, 1166; population of the civil parish, 293. The curacy is annexed to the vicarage of Malborough, in the diocese of Exeter. Patrons of the benefice, the Dean and Chapter of Sarum. The church is modern, and comprises nave, S aisle, N transept, and chancel. There is a chapel for Plymouth Brethren at Galmpton. A lifeboat station is at Hope Cove.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Kingsbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for South Huish from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Huish, South)
Online maps of South Huish are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cGalmpton (South Huish)
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.