Blackford is a parish, formed March 31, 1871, and consists of the whole of Westlinton township, previously in Kirklinton parish, and a part of the parish of Rockliffe; it is on the road from Carlisle to Longtown, with a station on the North British railway, 6½ miles north from Carlisle and 4 south from Longtown, in the Northern division of the county, Eskdale ward, union and petty sessional division of Longtown, county court district of Carlisle, rural deanery of Carlisle north and archdeaconry and diocese of Carlisle.
The registers date from the year 1871.
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The church of St. John the Baptist, erected in 1870 at a cost of £2,000, is a building of red sandstone, in the Gothic style, from designs by Mr. Borough, architect, late of Carlisle, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a turret containing 2 bells: in 1899 a new organ was provided, choir stalls and heating apparatus put in, and the chancel decorated, at a cost of £300: there are 160 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Blackford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.