New Humberstone, Leicestershire
New Humberstone, an extension of Leicester on the east, but not wholly within the city, is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1886 out of the parishes of Humberstone, Evington and Belgrave, consisting of New Humberstone and New Evington, with a station (called "Humberstone") on the Grantham and Leicester branch of the London and North Eastern railway, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred of East Goscote and union of Leicester. New Humberstone comprises part of the civil parish of Leicester.
The register dates from the year 1882.
The church of St. Barnabas, erected in 1866, at a cost of over £6,000 (exclusive of site, the gift of the Rev. Charles Edward Waller M.A.), is an edifice of red brick with Bath stone dressings, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, two side chapels, two north porches and small round tower on the north-west, with spire, and containing one bell: the stained east window is a memorial to Edwin Arthur Corah esq, of Leicester: there is a handsome window in the south transept, in memory of the Rev. Lt.-Col. Bernard A. Vann V.C., M.C., B.A. and Croix de Guerre, formerly assistant curate in the parish: the organ was presented in 1895 by Mrs. Winterton: there are 568 sittings.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Middlesex is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: