Leicester The Martyrs, Leicestershire
The ecclesiastical parish of The Martyrs was formed in April, 1890, from St. Mary's, Leicester.
The register dates from the year 1890.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Leicester, The Martyrs:
The church, at the junction of Shaftesbury and Narborough roads and Westcotes drive, erected in 1890, at the expense of the late Rev. Joseph Harris M.A. of Herm House, Eastbourne, rector of Sheepy, Leicestershire, 1867-80, is an edifice of red brick with Bath stone dressings, in the Early English style, from designs by the late Ewan Christian esq, architect, and consists of chancel, nave, south aisle, transepts and an eastern tower with spire, 120 feet in height, and containing one bell: the reading desks and pulpit are of carved oak, and there is a brass eagle lectern: the font is of blue Pennant and red Mansfield stone, on a base of Hopton-wood stone, the massive basin being carried on seven shafts: on the chancel walls are four tablets of Sicilian marble, inscribed with the Creed, Lord's Prayer and Ten Commandments in black letter, framed in carved alabaster, and all the seven windows are filled with stained glass, three being memorials to the martyrs, Cranmer, Latimer and Ridley, who were burnt at Oxford, the two bishops on 16 Oct. 1555, and the archbishop 21 Mar. 1556: a reredos, erected to the memory of the parishioners who fell in the Great war, 1914-18, was dedicated in 1921: there are 650 sittings, 500 being free.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: