Slapton, a parish, with a village, in Devonshire, on the coast, 8 miles from Kingsbridge station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under Kingsbridge; money order and telegraph office, Torcross. Acreage, 3344; population, 603. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. Slapton Ley is a reedy freshwater lake, 2 miles long, abounding with fish and fowl, and separated from the sea by only a ridge of sand. The parish is a resort of sportsmen, and has a hotel on the beach. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £140. The church is of the 13th century. There is a chapel for the Brethren. Flavel, the distinguished nonconformist, was for some time a resident.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Slapton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Kingsbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Slapton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Slapton (St. Mary))
Online maps of Slapton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.