Silverton, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands between the rivers Exe and Culm, 7½ miles NNE of Exeter, with a station on the G.W.R., 182 miles from London, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Cullompton. It was, during four days in 1645, the headquarters of Fairfax, suffered much devastation by fire in 1837, and was once a market-town. There are some large paper-mills in the parish. The parish comprises 4729 acres; population, 1225. There is a parish council consisting of eleven members. The manor was held by Edward the Confessor, afterwards by the Wadhams, the last of whom, Nicholas, together with his wife, founded in 1613 Wadham College, Oxford. From the Wadhams it descended to the Wyndham family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £950 with residence. The church was built in the 15th century, and enlarged in 1862. In the churchyard are the remains of an old cross. There is also a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Silverton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Tiverton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Silverton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Silverton (St. Mary))
Online maps of Silverton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.