Leicester St Margaret, Leicestershire
St. Margaret is one of the six ancient parishes in Leicester.
The register dates from the year 1610, and is in good condition.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Leicester, St Margaret's:
St. Margaret's church, which stands at the junction of Church gate and Sanvey gate, in an extensive churchyard, is a large and beautiful edifice of stone, originally cruciform, in the Early Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, vestry, south porch with parvise, and a fine embattled western tower, erected in 1444, and containing 12 bells, six dated 1633, two 1711, two 1741 and two added in 1921, and a clock with chimes and four dials, erected in 1898, at a cost of nearly £240: the tower was restored in 1911, at a cost of £1,776: the chancel is separated from the nave by an elegant oak screen, and retains a piscina and sedilia: there is also an exquisitely wrought effigy in alabaster of John Penny, abbot of Leicester, and Bishop of Bangor (1504), translated to Carlisle (1509), ob. 1520: there is a good deal of modern stained glass: the south porch is groined in stone and embattled, and in the parvise are two squints, one looking eastward and the other into the nave: the tower is also groined in stone, and opens towards the nave by a lofty arch: the upper stage and battlements are panelled: at the south-west angle is an octagonal stair turret rising above the parapet, and the whole is crowned by eight crocketed pinnacles: the church was restored during the period 1879-81, under the direction of G. E. Street esq. R.A. at a cost of £7,000; new choir stalls and side chapel were added in 1927.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: