UK Genealogy Archives logo

Leighton, Montgomeryshire

Historical Description

Leighton, a township-chapelry in Worthen parish, Montgomeryshire, on Offa's Dyke and the river Severn, near the boundary with Salop, 2 miles SSE of Welshpool. It has a post office under Welshpool; money order and telegraph office, Welshpool. Acreage, 1898; population, 348. Leighton Hall is the chief residence. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Trelystan, in the diocese of Hereford.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Registration districtMontgomery1837 - 1870
Registration districtForden1870 - 1933

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Montgomeryshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: