Sidbury, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands on the river Sid, 3 miles N by E of Sidmouth station on the L. & S.W.R.; was once a market-town; and has a fair on the Wednesday before 20 Sept. It has a post and money order office under Sidmouth; telegraph office, Sidmouth. The parish contains also the village of Sidford and the hamlet of Harcombe. Acreage, 6766; population, 1148. There is a parish council consisting of eleven members. Cotford House, Court Hall, and Sidbury Manor are the chief residences. A camp, successively British, Roman, Saxon, and Danish, and measuring about 1500 feet by 300, is on the ridge of Castle Hill, and several ancient earthworks are in other parts. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £420 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is partly Norman partly Later English, and has a tower rebuilt in 1846. The whole building was thoroughly restored in 1886. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sidbury St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Honiton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sidbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sidbury (St. Giles))
Online maps of Sidbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cHarcombe
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.