Shute, a parish in Devonshire, on the river Axe, 1 mile from Seaton Junction station on the L. & S.W.R., and 3 miles SW by W of Axminster. It contains the village of Whitford, and has a post office under Axminster; money order and telegraph office, Colyton. Acreage, 2739; population, 444. The manor belonged anciently to the Shutes, passed to the Bonvilles, the Peters, and the Poles, and with Shute House belongs now to the De la Pole family. Shute Hill is crowned with an ancient beacon house, and commands a good view. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £240 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is Decorated and Later English, and contains some handsome monuments to the De la Pole family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shute St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Axminster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shute from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Shute (St. Michael))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cWhitford
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.