Shobrooke, a parish, with a village, in Devonshire, 2 miles NE of Crediton station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Crediton; money order and telegraph office, Crediton. Acreage, 4259; population of the civil parish, 632; of the ecclesiastical, 579. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. Shobrooke Park belongs to the Shelley family, who are lords of the manor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £400 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is a building of stone about 200 years old, in the Early English style, and was thoroughly restored and enlarged in 1879. The tower is Norman, and is much older than the church. T. Westcote, the antiquary, was a native; and the Bodleys, of whom was Sir T. Bodley, the founder of the Bodleian library at Oxford, were at one time residents.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Crediton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shobrooke from the following:
Online maps of Shobrooke are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.