Shaugh Prior, Devon
Shaugh Prior, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands on the river Plym, near the confluence of the Mew and the Cad, under the SW side of Dartmoor, 2½ miles E of Bickleigh station on the G.W.R., and 7 NE of Plymouth, is surrounded with very romantic scenery, and has a small inn, and a post office under Roborough; money order office, Lee Moor; telegraph office, Bickleigh railway station. Acreage of parish, 8862; population, 714. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Shaugh Bridge, Dewerstone Rock, and the Dartmoor Tors are striking features. Porcelain clay is extensively worked, and firebricks and sanitary ware are manufactured. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £285 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is good, contains a font with an extremely fine carved oak cover of the 15th century, and has been well restored. There is a mission chapel at Lee Moor.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shaugh Prior from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Shaugh)
Online maps of Shaugh Prior are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.