Shaldon St Nicholas, Devon
Shaldon and Ringmore are hamlets forming the parish of St Nicholas, Teignmouth, in Devonshire, under the Ness promontory, at the mouth of the Teign, 1¼ mile from Teignmouth station on the G.W.R. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Teignmouth. Acreage of parish, 580 of land and 210 of water; population, 1286. It is a seabathing resort, with a fine beach and romantic environs. A new church was erected in 1894, and the old parish church restored in 1895-96. There are Congregational, Baptist, Wesleyan, and Bible Christian chapels, a public hall, and working men's club. Lord Clifford of Chudleigh is lord of the manor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £120 with residence. Patron, Lord Clifford.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shaldon St Nicholas from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Shaldon)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.