Seaton, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands on a small bay at the mouth of the river Axe, at the terminus of a branch railway of 4½ miles from the Seaton Junction station of the L. & S.W.R., 153 from London, and 6½ SW by S of Axminster, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Axminster. It contests with two other places the claim of occupying the site of the Roman station Moridunum, is now a favourite sea-bathing resort, consists chiefly of two streets at right angles to the shore, and has good accommodation for visitors, of whom there are a large number in the summer. The parish contains also the tithing of Beer. Acreage, 2912; population, 2339. The manor belongs to the Trevelyan family. An ancient camp of 3 acres, either Roman or Danish, and called Honey Ditches, is on Hanna Hill, adjacent to the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £230 with residence. The church is ancient and peculiar, includes Decorated English, Later English, and debased portions, and has been restored. There are a mission church and a Congregational chapel. Honiton lace is made in the parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Seaton St. Gregory|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Seaton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Seaton (St. Gregory))
Online maps of Seaton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.