Salcombe Regis, Devon
Salcombe Regis, a parish in Devonshire, on the coast, 2 miles ENE of Sidmouth station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Sidmouth. Acreage, 2576; population, 612. There is a parish council consisting of ten members. There are several good villa residences and a coastguard station; also a detachment at Westonmouth. Salcombe Regis Down commands a noble view. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £220 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is ancient, interesting, and in good preservation.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Salcombe-Regis St. Peter and St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Honiton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Salcombe Regis from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Salcombe-Regis (St. Peter and St. Mary))
Online maps of Salcombe Regis are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.