Rose Ash, Devon
Rose Ash, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands 6 miles ESE of South Molton, and 4 from Bishops Nympton station on the G.W.R., and was formerly called Ralph Esse. The parish contains also the hamlet of Yard and part of Ashmill. It has a post office under South Molton; money order and telegraph office, South Molton. Acreage, 5058; population of the civil parish, 444; of the ecclesiastical, 449. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £350 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1889-92, except the tower and NW wall. The old roof of the N aisle has been preserved, also the ancient screen and the font. The living has been in the possession of the Southcomb family since 1675.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Rose-Ash St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||South Molton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rose Ash from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Rose-Ash (St. Peter))
Online maps of Rose Ash are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.