UK Genealogy Archives logo

Romansleigh, Devon

Historical Description

Romansleigh (popularly Rumsleigh), a parish with a village, in Devonshire, 4 miles SSE of South Molton, and 6½ E by N of South Molton Road station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, South Molton, North Devon. Acreage, 2502; population, 165. The manor belongs to the Acland family. Beacon Hill rises to an altitude of 900 feet above sea-level. The Roman road from Stratton to the vicinity of Tannton goes along the parochial boundary, and is here called Romansleigh Ridge. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £140 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1867 and the tower in 1887, when three new bells were added, making a peal of six bells. A chalybeate spring is on its N side, and remains of an ancient cross are in the churchyard.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDevon 
Ecclesiastical parishRomansleigh St. Rumon 
HundredWitheridge 
Poor Law unionSouth Molton 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1539.

Findmypast, in association with the South West Heritage Trust, Parochial Church Council, and Devon Family History Society have the Baptisms, Banns, Marriages, and Burials online for Romansleigh


Churches

Church of England

St. Rumon (parish church)

The church of St. Rumon is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, organ chamber and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells: the chancel contains two memorial windows, and the remains of a screen were existing here in 1822: the church was rebuilt in 1868 from designs by E. Ashworth esq. architect, of Exeter, and restored in 1885-7, when the tower was built: new chancel seats were erected in 1896, as a memorial to the Rev. Richard White Atkins M.A. rector 1884-95: in the churchyard are the remains of an old stone cross, and on the north side of the church is St. Rumon's well.

St. Rumon, Romansleigh


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Romansleigh from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Romansleigh are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.

The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.

DistrictNorth Devon
CountyDevon
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtEX36
Post TownSouth Molton