Rockbeare, a parish, with the villages of Rockbeare and Marsh Green, in Devonshire, 1¼ mile SE of Broad Clist station on the L. & S.W.R., and 6 miles ENE of Exeter. It has a post office under Exeter; money order office, Honiton Clist; telegraph office. Broad Clist. Acreage, 2334; population, 451. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belonged at one time to Canonsleigh Abbey. Rockbeare House and Rockbeare Court are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £120 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is ancient but good, has a pinnacled tower, and was thoroughly restored in 1885 at a large cost. A mission church was erected at Marsh Green in 1895.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Rockbeare St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||St. Thomas|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rockbeare from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Rockbeare (St. Mary))
Online maps of Rockbeare are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cMarsh Green
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.