Roborough, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands 4 miles WSW of Portsmouth Arms station on the L. & S.W.R., and 5½ ESE of Great Torrington, was anciently called Rougaburga, and took that name from beorghs or burying-places in its neighbourhood. The parish contains also the hamlet of Ebberly. There is a post office under Torrington; money order office, Beaford; telegraph office, Torrington. Acreage, 3214; population, 367. There is a parish council consisting of eight members. The manor of Roborough belonged at the Norman Conquest to the Russells, and with Ebberly House belongs now to the Hole family. The manor of Coombe belongs to the Hon. Mark Rolle. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £240 with residence. The church is ancient. There is a Bible Christian chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Roborough St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Torrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Roborough from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Roborough (St. Peter))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cEbberly
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.