Rewe, a parish in Devonshire, on the river Culm, 1½ mile NE of Stoke Canon station on the G.W.R., and 5½ miles NNE of Exeter. It includes the tithing of Up Exe, and has a post office under Exeter; money order office, Brampford Speke; telegraph office, Thorverton. Acreage, 1335; population, 247. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £220 with residence. The church is of the 13th century, has been well restored, and contains some fine antique woodwork. There is a mission church at Up Exe, restored in 1887.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Rewe St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||St. Thomas|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rewe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Rewe (St. Mary))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cUp Exe
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.