Revelstoke, a parish in Devonshire, on the coast, 1½ mile SE of Newton Ferrers, and 7 miles S by E of Plympton station on the G.W.R. It contains the fishing village of Noss Mayo, and has a post office under Plympton; money order and telegraph office, Newton Ferrers. Acreage, 1541; population, 470. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Crabs, lobsters, pilchards, and herrings are caught in large quantities. Lord Revelstoke is lord of the manor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £140 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The magnificent church of St Peter was erected in 1882 at a cost of £32,000, borne entirely by Lord Revelstoke, and is a stone edifice in the Perpendicular style. It stands on a commanding site overlooking the Yealm. Its marble, granite, and carved oak-work is unsurpassed in the county, and it has a beautiful organ. A chapel of ease in the village of Noss Mayo, built in 1840, is now used as a school and a library and reading-room.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Plympton St. Mary|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Revelstoke from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cNoss Mayo
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.