Rackenford, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands 8½ miles NW by W of Tiverton station on the G.W.R.,and has a post and money order office undw Morchard Bishop; telegraph office, Witheridge. It is an ancient place, formerly called Kackineford, and described as a borough, was once a market-town, and has a fair on 8 July. Acreage of parish, 4011; population, 289. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £250 with residence. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower. There is a Bible Christian chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Rackenford All Saints|
|Poor Law union||South Molton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rackenford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Rackenford (All Saints))
Online maps of Rackenford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.