Poltimore, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands near the river Clist, 2 miles from Stoke Canon station on the G.W.R., and 4 NE of Exeter, and has a post office under Exeter; money order and telegraph office, Broad-Clyst. The parish contains also the hamlet of Rattisloe, and comprises 1740 acres; population of the civil parish, 361; of the ecclesiastical, with Huxham, 472. There is a parish council consisting of seven members and a chairman. The manor came early into possession of the Bampfyldes, and belongs now to their representative Lord Poltimore. Poltimore House is Lord Poltimore's seat, and was garrisoned in 1645 by Sir Thomas Fairfax. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Huxham, in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £288 with residence. Patron, Lord Poltimore. The church was built before 1390 by John Bampfylde, is Decorated English, consists of nave, aisle, transepts, and chancel, with a tower, and contains a carved screen and monuments ef the Bampfyldes.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Poltimore St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||St. Thomas|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Poltimore from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Poltimore (St. Mary))
Online maps of Poltimore are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cRatsloe
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.