Plymtree, a village and a parish in East Devonshire, 13 miles NE of Exeter. The village owes its name to having been part of the manor of Plympton, near Plymouth. It lies between two main lines of railway (G.W.R. and L. & S.W.R.), 4½ miles from Collumpton station on the G.W.R., and 5 from Sidemouth Junction on the L. & S.W.R., and has a post office under Collumpton. The river Clyst rises at Clyst William in the highest part of the parish. Acreage of parish, 2222; population, 418. There is a parish council consisting of seven members and a chairman. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £215 with residence. Patrons, Provost and Scholars of Oriel College, Oxford. The present church was built on an ancient site in the loth century, and consists of chancel with aisle, nave, S aisle, S porch, and tower. The interior is good and interesting, and contains a very handsome carved oak screen and bench ends, also some good work in chancel, an alabaster reredos, a piscina, several carved niches in walls and pillars, one on the west face of the tower containing the Virgin and Holy Child, and five bells.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Plymtree St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Honiton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Plymtree from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Plymtree (St. John the Baptist))
Online maps of Plymtree are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.