Pinhoe, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village has a station on the L. & S.W.R. 169 miles from London, 2½ NE of Exeter, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Exeter. Acreage of parish, 1758; population, 761. A battle was fought here against the Danes in 1001. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £140 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church stands nearly a mile from the village; is old hut good, with a tower; and contains elaborately-carved oak pulpit and screen. The building was well restored in 1880. There are a mission hall and a Baptist chapel. Bishop Conybeare and the theologian John Reynolds were natives.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Pinhoe St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||St. Thomas|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pinhoe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Pinhoe (St. Michael))
Online maps of Pinhoe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.