Petrockstowe, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands 4 miles NNW of Hatherleigh, and 8 from Torrington station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Beaford; telegraph office, Hatherleigh. The parish comprises 4295 acres; population, 463. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belonged formerly to Buckfastleigh Abbey, and belongs now to Lord Clinton. About 1360 acres are open moor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £195 with residence. Patron, Lord Clinton. The church was rebuilt in 1879, with the exception of the tower, which was restored. It contains a very interesting mural brass in memory of the Rolle family, and a fine stained glass window. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Torrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Petrockstow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Petrockstow)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.