Peter Tavy, Devon
Tavy St Peter, a parish, with a village and a hamlet, in Devonshire, on the W border of Dartmoor, 3½ miles NE of Tavistock station, on the G.W.R. Post town, Tavistock. Acreage, 9460; population of the civil parish, 350; of the ecclesiastical, 279. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The Duke of Bedford is lord of the manor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £200 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is an ancient building of stone with an embattled tower, and has been restored. A chapel of ease is at Hillbridge, and there is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tavy St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Tavistock|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Peter Tavy from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tavy (St. Peter))
Online maps of Peter Tavy are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cWillsworthy
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.