Peter Marland, Devon
Mariand Peters, a parish in Devonshire, 6 miles S by W of Torrington station on the L. & S.W.R., and 10 S by E of Bideford. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Torrington. Acreage, 2539; population, 291. The manor belongs to the Oldham family. Winscott is the seat of the Moore-Stevens family. The living is a vicarage in the-diocese of Exeter; net value, £70 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1865, and is a stone building in the Early English style. There is a Bible Christian chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Peter's Marland St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Torrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Peter Marland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Marland, Peter's (St. Peter))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.