Catmore, a parish in Berks, near the Ridge Way, 2¾ miles WSW of East Ilsley, 8 N from Newbury, and 6 N from Hermitage station on the G.W.R. It includes Lilley tithing, and once had a market. Post town, Wantage; money order office, Brightwalton; telegraph office, Chaddleworth. Acreage, 710; population, 94. The manor has been held for upwards of five centuries by the Rystons. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net yearly value, £109 with residence. The church is Norman, without tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Catmore St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Wantage|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1724.
Church of England
St Margaret (parish church)
The church of St. Margaret is a small building of Norman date, consisting of chancel and nave, south porch, and a turret containing one bell; there are 100 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Catmore from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Catmore (St. Margaret))
- Kelly's Directory of Berkshire, 1915
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Catmore are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.