Penny Cross (Pennycross), Devon
Pennycross or Weston Peverell, a civil parish and a chapelry in Plymouth St Andrew parish, Devonshire, adjoining Stoke, and 3 miles NNW of Plymouth station on the G.W.R. and L. & S.W.R. Post town, Plymouth. Acreage, 1252; population, 811. There is a parish council consisting of eight members. The living is a chapelry annexed to the curacy of Plymouth St Andrew, in the diocese of Exeter. The church is Later English, and has been well restored. The Roman Catholic College of Mary Immaculate is a large mansion in the Classic style, standing in beautifully ornamented grounds about 16 acres in extent, and commanding splendid views. St Joseph's House of the Little Sisters of the Poor was erected in 1885. It is a stone building in the Continental style, and contains eighty aged men and women. There are many very handsome residences in the neighbourhood.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Plympton St. Mary|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Penny Cross (Pennycross) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Weston-Peverel, or Penny-Cross)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.