Payhembury or Peyhembury, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village is situated 2 miles N from Sidmouth Junction on the L. & S.W.R., and 6 W by N of Honiton. It has a post office under Ottery St Mary; money order and telegraph office, Ottery St Mary. The parish comprises 2737 acres; population, 461. The manor was given by the Courteney family to the Ford Abbey, and now belongs to the Kennaways. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £200 with residence. The church has an embattled tower, a screen of 1460 date, and six fine bells. There is an entrenched encampment in the parish (Hembury Fort), supposed to be the Moridunum of the Romans.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Payhembury St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Honiton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Payhembury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Payhembury (St. Mary))
Online maps of Payhembury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.