Parkham, a parish in Devonshire, on the river Yeo, 7 miles SW of Bideford station on the L. & S.W.R. At the hamlet of Horns Cross-on the Bideford, Clovelly, and Bude coach road-there is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bideford. Acreage, 5808; population of the civil parish, 843; of the ecclesiastical, 745. Bableigh a former seat of the Risdon family, Halsbury of the Giffards, and Stone of the Botelers are farmhouses. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £450 with residence. The present church dates from the 15th century, with tower of Perpendicular period, and has a fine peal of six bells. There are one Bible Christian and two Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Parkham St. James|
|Poor Law union||Bideford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Parkham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Parkham (St. James))
Online maps of Parkham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cAsh (Parkham)
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.