Pancrasweek, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands near the Bude Canal, the river Tamar, and the boundary with Cornwall, 3½ miles WNW of Holsworthy station on the L. & S.W.R., and is sometimes called Week Pancrassa or Week St Pancras. Post town, Holsworthy. Acreage of civil parish, 4639; population, 362; of ecclesiastical, with Bradworthy, 1161. There is a parish council of seven members. The living is a chapelry annexed to the vicarage of Bradworthy, in the diocese of Exeter. The church is Later English, and consists of nave, S aisle, transept, and chancel with a lofty tower. The chancel is a continuation or part of nave. There is a hagioscope and remains of rood lofts. The church has been re-roofed and restored. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Pancrass Week or Wyke St. Pancras|
|Poor Law union||Holsworthy|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pancrasweek from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Pancrass Week or Wyke (St. Pancras))
Online maps of Pancrasweek are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cDexbeer
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.