Buscot, a village and a parish in Berks, on the river Thames, 4½ miles WNW of Faringdon station on the G.W.R., and 2½ SSE of Lechlade station. There is a post office under Lechlade, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage of parish, 2887; population, 423. Buscot House, built in 1780, and greatly altered and improved in 1890, stands in the midst of beautiful grounds extending into Eaton-Hastings parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net yearly value, £350 with residence. The church is old, dating from the 13th and 16th centuries. There is a Baptist chapel, erected in 1883, and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Buscot St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Farringdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Buscot 1676-1812, Berkshire is available to browse online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Buscot was in Faringdon Registration District from 1837 to 1937 and Wantage Registration District from 1937 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Buscot from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Buscot, or Burwascot (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Berkshire, 1899
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Buscot are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.