Oakford, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands on a bold acclivity, 640 feet above the level of the sea, three-quarters of a mile from the river Exe, at Oakford Bridge, 2 miles S of the boundary with Somerset, 8¼ WSW of Bampton, and 4 from Dulverton station on the G.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Bampton; telegraph office, Bampton. Acreage of parish, 5434; population, 513. The parish council consists of eight members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £720 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1838, and is a neat stone building with a pinnacled tower of 15th century date.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Oakford St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Tiverton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Oakford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Oakford (St. Peter))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.