Nymet Rowland, Devon
Nymet Rowland (formerly Rowlands Leigh), a parish in Devonshire, on the river Taw, 1 mile from Lapford station on the L. & S.W.R., and 4 miles SSE of Chumleigh. It has a post and money order office at Morchard Bishop; telegraph office, Lapford railway station. Acreage, 606; population, 92. The living is a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Coleridge, in the diocese of Exeter. The church stands on an eminence, commanding a delightful view of the surrounding country. The tower is nearly covered with ivy, and has been restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Nymett-Rowland St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Crediton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Nymet Rowland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Nymett-Rowland (St. Bartholomew))
Online maps of Nymet Rowland are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.