North Leigh, Devon
Leigh, North, a parish, with a village, in Devonshire, on an affluent of the river Axe, 3½ miles SSE of Honiton station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Honiton. Acreage, 994; population, 190. The manor belonged to Lord Petre, passed in 1794 to Mr J. M. Howe, and belongs now to the Proby family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value,, £188 with residence. The church is ancient, comprises nave, N aisle, and chancel, and contains an ancient oak screen and a small piscina. The whole building was thoroughly restored in 1869.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Honiton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Leigh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Leigh, North)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.