North Tawton, Devon
Tawton, North, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village has a station on the L. & S.W.R., 191 miles from London, and 6½ NE of Okehampton, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office. The parish includes Week hamlet, and comprises 5967 acres; population of the civil parish, 1737; of the ecclesiastical, 1682. There are a woollen and serge manufactory, and a copious intermitting spring. The market is held on Thursday, and cattle fairs are held in April, October, and December. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £800 with residence. The church is old, and has been restored. There are Congregational, Bible Christian, and Wesleyan chapels. A clock tower of red brick was erected in 1887.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||North Tawton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Oakhampton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Tawton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tawton, North (St. Peter))
Online maps of North Tawton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.