North Petherwin, Devon
Petherwin, North, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands near the boundary with Cornwall, 3 miles from Egloskerry stations on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Egloskerry; money order office, Lannceston; telegraph office, Egloskerry. The parish contains also the hamlets of Brassacott, Helscott, and Maxworthy. Acreage, 8208; population, 726. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Tmro; gross value, e£263 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church is ancient, with Later English windows; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower ½ and contain monuments of the Yeos, the Herrings, the Kingdons, and others. It was restored in 1876. There are Wesleyan, Bible Christian, and Methodist chapels. The Duke of Bedford is lord of the manor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||North Petherwin St. Paternus|
|Poor Law union||Launceston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Petherwin from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Petherwin, North (St. Paternus))
Online maps of North Petherwin are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cBrassacott
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.