North Huish, Devon
Huish, North, a parish, with a small scattered village, in Devonshire, on the river Avon, 2½ miles E by S of Kingsbridge Road station on the G.W.R., 7 SW of Totnes, and 1 mile SW from Avonwick station on the Kingsbridge branch line. Post town, Ivybridge. Acreage, 2733; population, 344. The manor house, Blackball, and Wetcombe, are chief residences. The parish is a meet for the South Devon harriers and the Dartmoor fox-hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value, £400 with residence. The church is Decorated English, and was repaired'in 1848.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Totnes|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Huish from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Huish, North)
Online maps of North Huish are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.