North Bovey, Devon
Bovey, North, a parish in Devonshire, on the Bovey Brook, on the E border of Dartmoor, near the Moreton-Hampstead station on the G.W.R., 1½ mile SW of Moreton-Hampstead. It has a post office under Newton-Abbot;, money order and telegraph office, Moreton-Hampstead. Acreage, 5589; population of the civil parish, 417; of the ecclesiastical, 426. The ancient lords of the manor had the power of inflicting capital punishment. Most of the surface is thickly strewn with fragments of rock. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £200 with residence. The church is very old, but good. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||North Bovey St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Newton-Abbot|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Bovey from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bovey, North (St. John the Baptist))
Online maps of North Bovey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.