UK Genealogy Archives logo

Newton St Petrock, Devon

Historical Description

Newton St Petrock, a parish, with a village, in Devonshire, on the river Torridge, 7½ miles NE by N of Holsworthy station on the L. & S.W.K., and 11 SSW of Bideford. Post town, Torrington. Acreage, 1986; population of civil parish, 234; of the ecclesiastical, 219. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value, £140 with residence. The church is ancient, with a tower, and was enlarged and restored in 1884. There is a Baptist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDevon 
Ecclesiastical parishNewton St. Petrock 
HundredShebbear 
Poor Law unionBideford 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in association with the South West Heritage Trust, Parochial Church Council, and Devon Family History Society have the Baptisms, Banns, Marriages, and Burials online for Newton St Petrock


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Newton St Petrock from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Newton St Petrock are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.

The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.

DistrictTorridge
CountyDevon
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtEX22
Post TownHolsworthy