Newton St Cyres, Devon
Newton St Cyres, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands on the river Creedy, with a station, called St Cyres, on the L. & S.W.R., 176 miles from London, and 4¼ NW of Exeter. It has a post and telegraph office under Exeter; money order office, Crediton. Acreage of the civil parish, 4375; population, 757; of the ecclesiastical, 762. The parish includes the tithings of Ford, Norton, and Smallbrook. The manor belonged once to Plympton Priory, and has belonged since the time of Elizabeth to the Quicke family. Newton House is the manorial mansion. A mansion of the Northcote family also was in the parish, but is now a farmhouse. Ores of iron, lead, and manganese exist. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £270 with residence. The church stands on an eminence commanding fine views, was built about the 13th century, and restored in 1831, and contains monuments of the Northcotes, The Quickes, and others.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Crediton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newton St Cyres from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Newton St. Cyres)
Online maps of Newton St Cyres are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cFord (Newton St Cyres)
Norton (Newton St Cyres)
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.