Newton Ferrers, Devon
Newton Ferrers, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands on a creek of the river Yealm, 1½ mile from the river's mouth, 9 miles from Plymouth station on the G.W.R., and is a scattered place, amid beautiful environs. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Plymouth. Acreage of parish, 3327; population, 710. Gnaton Hall was long the seat of the Hele family, and was rebuilt about 1832. Puslinch House is also a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £440 with residence. The church is very old; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower; and contains monuments of The Potters and the Yonges.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Newton-Ferrers Holy Cross|
|Poor Law union||Plympton St. Mary|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newton Ferrers from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Newton-Ferrers (Holy Cross))
Online maps of Newton Ferrers are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.